Europe...do you feel European??

Bookcorsairs from outside Italy, if you want to have a chat with us, this is the place for you! You can switch the forum language into English once you register, so come on! ;)
(Quest'area e' dedicata alla conversazione con i bookcorsari stranieri)

Moderatore: Marcello Basie

Rispondi
rebequita79
Mozzo
Contatta:

Europe...do you feel European??

Messaggio da rebequita79 »

Last night I listened to very interesting program on the radio about the young people and Europe, if they felt European, the different projetcs that are carried out by the European Youth Forum,etc
So what do you think about the concept of "Europe", the European Union?? Do you feel European??
Take care,
Rebeca

Link to the European Youth Forum: http://www.youthforum.org/en/
"Every person is a new door to a different world"

Catseyes
Uncino

Messaggio da Catseyes »

I do feel European, maybe also because have studied foreign languages and have lived with French/ Spanish/ British people in UK and Germany for a while.
Indeed, I believe that projects like Erasmus and Leonardo have really helped in building up an European consciousness among young people.
Of course, for some countries it is easier to understand each other (for ex. Spain/Italy), but I also think that there are European countries where the idea of Europe itself is somehow refused not only politically but also in everyday life, not considered as part of their own history (UK).

Personally, I look to other Europena country with the same curiosity and interest one might reserve to the closest friends/ relatives.

YowlYY
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da YowlYY »

Well said, Catseyes :-)

this is just as I see it... being myself Italian, but having lived for a long time in Germany and currently in the UK, I feel to be more European than Italian or Sarda ;-)
Isn't it amazing how a country like the UK, where so many ethnic groups live closely together, is so "divided" from the rest of Europe when it comes to unification?

However, I admit I am not a fan of the European Parliament, nor approve of some of the bills they passed...
"I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue . . . "No good in a bed, but fine against a wall." - Eleanor Roosevelt

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/BookCrossingUK/
Vero SagittarioImmagine
Immagine because rabbits deserve better...

docTrigor
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da docTrigor »

Well, first of all, I feel myself a human as all the other people, so i'm equal to a Chinese, an English or a Zulu people.

Also I feel to being part of a great union known as Europe, because there is cultural, religious similarities or a similar way of life.

At the end, I'm Italian, I'm of my own city, and i consider the differences that are trought me and the other people, but as an identification of my nature, not an outstand of my "superiority" (that is false).

Hope to be clear
AL MOMENTO SONO PARECCHIO ASSENTE DAL FORUM. PER NECESSITA', TIRATE D'ORECCHIE, REMINDER, INSOMMA SE DOVETE CONTATTARMI SCRIVETEMI UN MP O UNA MAIL DA QUI O DA BC.COM.
GRAZIE

A volte, quando entro nel mio ufficio, mi sembra di camminare in mezzo alle rovine di un'antica civiltà. Non è per il disordine che regna sovrano, ma più probabilmente perché mi ricorda le vestigia dell'essere civilizzato che io fui un tempo. (Blacksad)
Membro del Vero Toro Club
Ciao ne (cit.)

rebequita79
Mozzo
Contatta:

Messaggio da rebequita79 »

Well, first of all, I see myself as a citizen of the world, probably because I have always been very curious about other cultures and languages (and because I have friends in different countries all over the world).
Then, I do feel European but it feels a bit difficult or complex to explain why. Probably, the main reason is because several of my best friends are from other European countries, and somehow I feel we all have something in common, like a bow that makes us be united. Of course, there are differences among us, not just because we are from different countries, but because we are different individuals.
I think many people do not trust "Europe" because they see it as an institution that wants us to be the same, to have the same values and traditions,etc... losing our own identities.
Unfortunately, I think the European Union has focused too much on the political and economical affairs and they have totally forgotten the most important thing: PEOPLE.
Very soon we will be 25 members and many times, we hardly know a thing about our neighbour countries, as we were total strangers...I think that is sad. :cry:
"Every person is a new door to a different world"

Rispondi