I arrive in Florence in 3 weeks - and I have questions.

Bookcorsairs from outside Italy, if you want to have a chat with us, this is the place for you! You can switch the forum language into English once you register, so come on! ;)
(Quest'area e' dedicata alla conversazione con i bookcorsari stranieri)

Moderatore: Marcello Basie

JamesMum
Spugna

I arrive in Florence in 3 weeks - and I have questions.

Messaggio da JamesMum »

I hope that some patient BX friends in Italy can help me prepare for my upcoming trip to Florence and Venice. In return, I would be happy to release any of my available books at any OBCZ in either city, for you to pick up. Some of my questions are:

1) WEATHER. What can I expect the weather to be like in December? What would be the proper outerwear to pack (jackets, hats, scaves, gloves, etc.)?

2) FASHION. I am a boring Canadian, and haven't a clue about what the current fashion trends are in Europe. Please help me, so that I don't look too ridiculous! Suggestions about what to wear (and what NOT to wear) would be very much appreciated. For example:
- What would be common casual clothing, just for visiting museums and walking around the city?
- What would be appropriate footwear while walking around? Walking shoes? Boots? What kind of style?
- I have a black leather jacket and a blue ski jacket. I should bring the leather one, and leave the blue one at home, right?

3) HOW NOT TO LOOK LIKE A TOURIST. What should we avoid doing/wearing/carrying so that we don't look like goofy tourists? I know, we ARE tourists, but we're coming because we want to experience the beauty and history of these cities, not to take pictures and buy postcards. What is the #1 thing tourists do that make you say, "Hey, that person's a tourist!" I'd guess speaking English would be at the top of the list, but our only other choice is French, so either way, language will give away our status. What else should we avoid?

4) We are planning to take the train from Florence to Venice. Is there anything we should know about? I've read about how to buy tickets, and I know where the station is in Florence, but is there anything else we should know?

5) STREET MAPS. Where can I buy a good street map of each of these cities? Is there a recommended brand/version?

6) INTERNET ACCESS. I will be staying at the Hotel Grand Hotel Minerva at Piazza Santa Maria Novella 16. I will not have a PC with me. Where can I find public internet access?

Thank you all so much for reading this far. I apologize for my ignorance, and appreciate any advice you can offer. If there is anything I can bring over from the U.S. for any of you, please let me know. Thank you.

Miss Piggott
Olandese Volante

Messaggio da Miss Piggott »

Hi Jamesmum!
Well, you have so many questions and I don't know if I have the right answers...
I guess you should not worry about not looking a tourist... I'm convinced that, wherever you go, native people will always recognize you as a a tourist :wink:
Wear what you feel comfortable in, and bear in mind that December is quite cold in the North of Italy (the average temperature is generally lower than 10°C and can be close to 0)
As regards shoes, you will have to spend so much time walking both in Florence and Venice that be assured your feet will choose for you which pair of shoes is the best one...
Maps... you can get loads of free maps in your hotel or around the cities...
Internet acces... well, it's years I don't go to Florence, but I'm sure there will be at least one internet cafè downtown. Ask your hotel's receptionists for any info, they will know anything a tourist can need...
And, last but not least, ENJOY!
Ultima modifica di Miss Piggott il lun nov 22, 2004 8:58 pm, modificato 1 volta in totale.
ImmagineImmagine Immagine ImmagineImmagine
Immagine

last-unicorn
moderatrice
Contatta:

Re: I arrive in Florence in 3 weeks - and I have questions.

Messaggio da last-unicorn »

What is the #1 thing tourists do that make you say, "Hey, that person's a tourist!"
Drinking cappuccino after 11 am. :P
Enjoy your stay in Italy! :D

Babette
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da Babette »

Se qualcuno si impegna a tradurre per Jamesmum posso preparare un post su luoghi/attività fiorentine turistiche ma non troppo :mrgreen:

p.s. anche se la stagione dovrebbe metterci in salvo ma.....Sandalo+ calzerotto=turista :P
Un libro dovrebbe essere una sfera di luce nelle mani di chiunque (Ezra Pound)

lizzyblack
moderatrice
Località: The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, "Toujours Pur"
Contatta:

Messaggio da lizzyblack »

Io mi offro traduttrice :D Manda manda!!
Liz

"If a cat could talk, he wouldn't..."
"Sono posseduto da una passione inesauribile che finora non ho potuto né voluto frenare. Non riesco a saziarmi di libri."
"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

Le mie letture

ImmagineVero Acquario

Babette
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da Babette »

Grazie ..più tardi scrivo ...inizia con calzerotto intanto :lol: :lol: (e non barare..niente calzino...calzerotto!)

lizzyblack
moderatrice
Contatta:

Ok, ok, calzerotto.... :suspect:
Liz

"Sono posseduto da una passione inesauribile che finora non ho potuto né voluto frenare. Non riesco a saziarmi di libri."

Le mie letture

ImmagineVero Acquario

Miss Piggott
Olandese Volante

Re: I arrive in Florence in 3 weeks - and I have questions.

Messaggio da Miss Piggott »

Drinking cappuccino after 11 am.
I would rather say drinking cappuccino while having lunch or dinner
:no!: :eyes:
I see nothing wrong in drinking cappuccino in the afternoon, as long as you're not having it with a slice of pizza or a steak :P
ImmagineImmagine Immagine ImmagineImmagine
Immagine

Conf
Re del Mare
Contatta:

Messaggio da Conf »

First rule in Venice: be prepared. It's the most expensive city in Italy, probably in Europe. Even the air you breathe will cost you more than you think. Forget coffees or drinks in Piazza S.Marco unless your secret identity is "Uncle Scrooge" and you live in a depot in Ducksburg.

First rule in Italy (with the exclusion of Florence): almost nobody speaks english. More often than not, even italian can be a problem.

liberliber
amministratrice ziaRottenmeier
Contatta:

Messaggio da liberliber »

conf ha scritto:First rule in Italy (with the exclusion of Florence): almost nobody speaks english. More often than not, even italian can be a problem.
well, it's not SO true. Maybe not a very good English :whistle: :oops: but in the Museums, shops and restaurants in Florence and Venice you'll be sure peolple speak English.

I suggest, if possible, to go to the Uffizi in the Sunday morning (I have seen the Botticelli room ALL ALONE).
To eat something quick, good and not too expensive in the center of Florence, I remember I Fratellini. Try the sandwich with pecorino, and drink red wine ;)
Ciao! :D

P.S. never, never, NEVER cappuccino after lunchtime! :D :P
Ho potuto così incontrare persone e diventarne amico e questo è molto della mia fortuna (deLuca)
Amo le persone. E' la gente che non sopporto (Schulz)
Ogni volta che la gente è d'accordo con me provo la sensazione di avere torto (Wilde)
I dream popcorn (M/a)
VERA DONNA (ABSL)
Petulante tecnofila (EM)

NON SPEDITEMI NULLA SENZA AVVISARE!
Meglio mail che mp. Grazie.

Xenia
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da Xenia »

hello :o)
justa a few things concerning your visit to the Uffizi in Florence (which is simply great!): when I got there last year I booked my tickets in advance thus skipping the usual never ending queue of tourists. The Uffizi website is ugly and you cannot book online, but only by phone, but it's worth doing it anyway ;):

Uffizi - The Gallery
Opening Hours: Tuesday-Sunday 8.15am-7.00pm
Closing days: every Monday, January 1, May 1, December 25.
Tickets: Euro 8,00
Euro 4,00 for European citizens over 18 and under 25.
The access is free for Italian citizens under 18 or over 65 and for foreign citizens from those countries for which reciprocity holds.
Tickets sale ends 45 minutes before closing.

Services: cloack room, bar, bookshop.

The ticket office is located on the ground floor; the Gallery is mainly located on the second floor.

Reservation Service:

Reservations can be made, as long as ticket availibility lasts,
by calling +39.055.294883
Monday thru Friday 8.30am-6.30pm; Saturday 8.30am-12.30 am.
On Saturday and holidays an answering service is operative.
Fax +39(.(0)55.264406
Reservation-tel Euro 1,55.

For travelling fron Florence to Venice, whose railway stations are both quite comfortable if you plan to go downtown for a visit, you'll be able to check timetables on www.trenitalia.com, just chhosing the hour and data of your trip. You can buy tickets online but you first need to register to trenitalia website, so it'll be probably easier to buy them right away at the railway station in Florence (use automatic ticketing machines, they are so quick, otherwise you may be likely to face a long queue...).
Just remembre one thing: most of the main trains connecting important towns such as Milan, Rome, Florence, Venice, are EUROSTAR Trains Immagine; with a eurostar it'll take you around 2 hours and a half to get to Venice. The only thing you absolutely need to remember is that on Eurostar reservation is compulsory, and the booking fee is included within the cost of the ticket itself. That is why it might be sound to buy your tickets a few days in advance... On the eurostar ticket you'll actually see that the coach and seat number is indicated, so you are sure you have your seat reserved ;)

enjoy you stay!
Accadono cose che sono come domande; passa un minuto, oppure anni, e poi la vita risponde.
Membro del Vero Toro Club
Book-Wishlist - My Anobii Shelf
Quando penso a tutti i libri che mi restano da leggere, ho la certezza di essere ancora felice. (Jules Renard)

last-unicorn
moderatrice
Contatta:

Messaggio da last-unicorn »

And don't forget to invalidate your ticket before you get on the train! :yes!:

Babette
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da Babette »

Soggiorno a Firenze parte 1: I consigli gastronomici (postati per primi perché oltre ad esser quelli che più si avvantaggiano dell’esperienza di un indigeno locale presumo siano anche i più difficoltosi da tradurre)

Imperdibili:

Coccoli: palline di pasta fritta e salata. Un vero attentato alla dieta ma gustosissimi. Vanno bene a qualsiasi ora ma l’ideale è intorno a mezzogiorno. Potete trovarli alla friggitoria di Via Sant’Antonino 50/r (zona San Lorenzo-Mercato centrale)

Fettunta o bruschetta: semplicissimo pane e olio, si mangia come antipasto. Nel periodo in cui sarete a Firenze viene spesso servito nei ristoranti perché c’è l’olio del nuovo raccolto

Crostini toscani: salsa scura fatta con i fegatini di pollo che si spalma sul pane tostato e poi bagnato nel brodo. Come antipasto insieme a prosciutto e salame

Ribollita: minestra di pane e verdura, si presenta densa ed è davvero squisita

Bistecca alla fiorentina: “semplicemente” carne alla griglia…che però è famosa in tutto il mondo, qualcosa di speciale avrà ;-) ! Il consiglio è: o avete il coraggio di mangiarla poco cotta (al sangue) o lasciate perdere del tutto….Difficilmente la mangio in centro ma pur essendo un posto ricco di turisti il famosissimo Latini in Via dei Palchetti 6 la fa buona

Lesso rifatto con le cipolle: carne lessata e poi fatta stufare con le cipolle ed il vino rosso: questo lo fanno buono al Tranvai, Piazza Tasso 14/r (zona San Frediano)

Panino con il lampredotto: non chiedete spiegazioni, mangiatelo e basta. 8) Può essere un pranzo veloce, è davvero “tipico” Non lo troverete mai in un bar o un ristorante: ci sono dei venditori ambulanti. Uno è in Piazza del Porcellino ma se davvero volete un’esperienza speciale andate al Mercato centrale ovvero entrate nella struttura con il tetto Liberty (se riuscite a vederlo!) in Piazza del Mercato centrale e lì a piano terra, chiedete di Nerbone. Lui vi farà il panino con il lampredotto, beveteci sopra un bicchiere di vino rosso. Attenzione il mercato centrale chiude intorno alle 14 (la domenica è sempre chiuso)

Fermatevi anche a prendere una cioccolata in tazza da Rivoire, Piazza Signoria . Magari prendetela al banco per evitare di essere rapinati…con i risparmi investite in qualche tavoletta da portare a casa come souvenir. Altro appuntamento imperdibile il panino tartufato da Procacci in Via Tornabuoni, più che altro perché è un luogo storico

Oltre ai locali già citati sopra in centro a Firenze consiglio per la cena:

Trattoria Cibreo, meglio noto come Cibreo dei poveri. Il Cibreo è uno dei ristoranti più esclusivi di Firenze, accanto sorge questa trattoria dove tradizionalmente si dava la sera a buon mercato ciò che avanzava dalla cucina del ristorante. L’ambiente è molto informale (nonostante sia stato recentemente ristrutturato e abbia perso molto del suo fascino), le comitive vengono mescolate ai tavoli se serve a far sedere tutti ma il cibo è davvero raffinato e la spesa contenuta. Se vi capita non perdetevi la polenta con le erbe. La trattoria è in Via dei Macci 118/R

Di fronte c’è “Da Carmine, i’ pizzaiolo”: l’unica pizza del centro veramente buona. Vabbè la pizza non è fiorentina ma siamo pur sempre italiani ;-)

Beh..mi fermo altrimenti ingrassate :lol: :lol:

Oddio povera Lizzy...quanto ho scritto :shock: :oops: perdono :pray:

lizzyblack
moderatrice
Contatta:

Stampo e traduco!! :lol: Thick sock a tutti!! :suspect:
Liz

Le mie letture

ImmagineVero Acquario

Pa
Re del Mare
Contatta:

Messaggio da Pa »

faccio notare che ogni locale proposto dalla Babette lo si trovera chiuso solo quando si cerchera' di entrare.....e generalmente piove

Pa ( a cui mancano i sabati fiorentini piovosi)

lizzyblack
moderatrice
Contatta:

Scriverò anche questo :lol:
Liz

Le mie letture

ImmagineVero Acquario

Babette
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da Babette »

In effetti quelli che abbiamo trovato chiusi sono citati tutti quanti Pa :lol:

lizzyblack
moderatrice
Contatta:

Eccomi! Vi avverto.. ho inventato delle parole, perchè da dopo il trasloco ho perso delle cosine, tipo i dizionari (non ricordo bene dove li ho sistemati... :suspect: ) e non mi fido molto di Google traduttore... da qui ho capito che necessito di tornare al più presto in Irlanda!!! :eyes:

Stay in Florence, part 1; advices about food

Not to be missed:

"Coccoli": little balls of fried and salted pasta. They give a stab to your diet, but they're really tasty! They fit every time of the day, but better for lunch. You can find it to the fry shop at Via Sant'Antonio, (close to S. Lorenzo and central market)

"Fettunta or bruschetta": simply bread and oil, it's used to be a "before lunch". During the time you are in Florence, it'll be served very often as there's the oil of the new crop.

"Crostini toscani": dark sauce made with chicken liver, spread on toasted bread and dipped on the broth. "Before lunch" together with ham and salame.

"Ribollita": bread and vegetables thick soup, really tasty!

"Bistecca alla fiorentina": simply grilled beef... but as long as it's famous all over the world, you should discover why ;) Advice: you'd better have it rare, or just don't eat it. I rarely eat it on the city center, but, even if crowded of tourist, the famous restaurant "Latini" on VIa dei Palchetti, make a good bistecca.

"Lesso rifatto con le cipolle": boiled beef then stewed with onion and red wine. You can try a good one at "Tranvai", piazza Tasso 14/f (close to S. Frediano)

"Panino con il lampredotto": don't ask about, just eat it! It ca be a fast lunch, and really tipical. You can't find it on restaurants, it is only sold on food kiosks, as the one in Piazza del Porcellino. If you really enjoy a nice esperience, go to the central market, enter the place with the Liberty roof (if you can see it!) on Piazza del Mercato centrale, and there, at the ground floor, ask for "Nerbone". He will make your panino, to be eat with a red wine glass. Remind that the central market closes at 2p.m.(closed all day on Sunday)

I suggest to have a stop and take an hot chocolate to "Rivoire" at Piazza della Signoria. You'd better don't sit at the table, it's quite expensive, but you should take some chocolate to take home too ;)
Another place not to be missed is a Panino Tartufato at "Procacci", via Tornabuoni. It's also an historical place.

"Trattoria Cibreo" also known as "trattoria of the poors". "Cibreo"Is one of the most exclusive restaurants in Florence. Closes to it, there's the "Trattoria", where traditionally the leftovers of the restaurant were given cheap. The palce is quite informal (even if it has lately been refurbished, and lost most of his fashion), large number of people seat with others if there's no place, and food is very good with no much money to spend. You should try "Polenta con le erbe". The palce is on Via die Macci 118/r.

In front of it there's "da Carmine", the only place on the city center where you can eat a good pizza. This is not tipical of Florence, but as you know, we are italian!!

I'd better stop, or you'll get fat ;)
Liz

Le mie letture

ImmagineVero Acquario

Babette
Olandese Volante
Contatta:

Messaggio da Babette »

Grande Lizzy, grazie :heartkiss:

lizzyblack
moderatrice
Contatta:

Grazie a te!! :hungry:
Liz

Le mie letture

ImmagineVero Acquario

Rispondi